Skip to content

Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

The decision to study abroad is an important one, and the Office of International Education encourages students and families to work together as they prepare for a time of exciting academic experiences and significant personal growth.  

We encourage students to take responsibility for their learning experience, beginning with the selection of their program and the completion of the application process. Students learn a great deal of information about studying abroad, and their particular program, through our extensive orientation process. We encourage students to share information about their program with their families.

Please feel free to contact the Office of International Education with any questions that you may have.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I study abroad?
Studying abroad gives you a unique opportunity to add an international dimension to your education by gaining new perspectives on a variety of subjects. In addition, most study abroad students rate their experience as one of the highlights of their college career and find that they undergo drastic personal and intellectual growth during their time abroad.

When can I study abroad?
Students can participate in faculty-led programs as early as the second semester of freshman year and spend semesters abroad starting sophomore year. 

What is the family's role in the planning process?
Families can assist by understanding that the application process should be managed entirely by the student. This will foster independence, and their feeling of ownership of the entire education abroad experience. Encourage your student to trust the local infrastructure of on-site coordinators and College administrators to help with the many challenges—small and large—that are part of any study abroad experience.

It is important to note that due to privacy laws in many countries, schools cannot communicate with parents directly. All inquiries must go through your students if they are over the age of 18. 

Is there a foreign language requirement?
While some programs do require that students have a background in a foreign language, or to take a language class, Endicott's study abroad programs are taught in English, even in non-English speaking countries.  

How comparable will the host institution and services be to those at Endicott?
Most foreign institutions are quite different from their American counterparts in areas such as registration procedures, teaching, and grading styles, accommodations, access to technology, and campus facilities. Oftentimes, these differences may seem more "strict" and/or less forgiving, but these differences do not indicate a lack of quality. Students should embrace these changes, learn from such differences, and resist the urge to make comparisons.

What will it cost to study abroad?
All students will pay Endicott tuition, room, and board directly to Endicott College and will be able to receive all financial aid while abroad. Please visit the tuition and fees page for more information.

Additional spending money can vary depending upon the country and city where a student is studying, and how much individual students spend on their own. Spending factors to consider can include weekend and holiday break travel, shopping, groceries, and/or dining out. 

Why do I pay Endicott tuition for a semester abroad program?
The policy of charging home tuition for study abroad is standard among Endicott’s peer universities around the U.S. Like other highly selective institutions, Endicott carefully chooses and monitors its study abroad programs, linking only with top-tier institutions and programs abroad. Endicott charges home tuition because students on study abroad continue to earn credit towards an Endicott degree. Students going abroad remain Endicott students and thus retain many of the services that they would normally receive on campus (such as IT, counseling, advising, online library, research services, etc.). All Endicott financial aid is transferable to Endicott semester or year-abroad programs as well.

What if I must withdraw from the program?
If a student must withdraw from their program, the student should contact the Office of International Education immediately. The cancellation policy will apply, and the tuition and fees may be retained by the College and foreign institutions. 

Is there financial aid for study abroad?
Students participating in Endicott semester programs remain eligible for Endicott, federal, and state financial aid. If a student receives financial aid, we suggest they consult with their financial aid advisor before going abroad. Regarding faculty-led programs, the costs of an embedded program are not included in the determination of Endicott need-based or merit-based aid; however, it is possible to consider loans for these costs. Please visit the Office of Financial Aid and speak with a financial aid counselor to discuss these options.

How is banking handled abroad?
In most cases, you will find it most convenient to use credit and ATM cards. These cards will allow access to funds from a home account and make purchases abroad. MasterCard and Visa are the most commonly accepted credit cards. Before students leave home, it is advisable to check with the bank or credit card company about fees for withdrawals and purchases made abroad. Additionally, banks such as Bank of America have branches overseas that will not charge fees.

It is recommended that students arrive in-country with some U.S. currency in case there are issues accessing funds in the first few days.

How safe is study abroad?
Our office works closely with our partner institutions to provide a safe and welcoming environment for all of our students. While no part of the world is crime-free (including the U.S.), we prepare students for common safety issues during the orientation process at Endicott. We strive to make students aware of the resources that will prove helpful in the event of an emergency.

What is GeoBlue international insurance?
GeoBlue is a required international insurance plan. It is not possible to opt out of GeoBlue insurance. GeoBlue does not affect a student's regular insurance plan which must remain in place. Please visit our Health and Safety page to learn more.

What happens if I become ill while abroad?
See "Health and Safety"

What should if I have health concerns before or while abroad?
If you have a chronic physical or psychological condition that requires ongoing treatment, please consult with your physician about the prospect of studying abroad. If on medication, consult with the physician and insurance company regarding the type of care needed abroad, and the best way to continue consultations.

What should I do if I have difficulty adjusting while studying abroad?
All students experience some degree of culture shock while they are overseas, although many are not able to immediately recognize it as such. Common symptoms include homesickness, stress, frustration, and loneliness. These kinds of feelings are very typical, and they usually subside with time and effort. Although adjustment to differences in language, accommodations, social norms, academics, and more can be frustrating and challenging, it is exactly this type of adaptation process that makes an education abroad experience such a rewarding educational and independence-building endeavor. Remember to expect these feelings and approach all situations with an open mind. This will help minimize the shock once upon arrival. The pre-departure orientation will also address culture shock to help students feel more at ease before and during the study abroad program.

It is also important to contact our office to discuss any last-minute questions/concerns before and while abroad. Knowing the details will help students feel more confident when they arrive in an unfamiliar place. That said, remember to embrace uncertainty and cultural differences. Most students are bound to encounter some type of unforeseen obstacle along the way and we will be here to provide support when needed.

What are the requirements for studying abroad?
Endicott College requires that all students have at least a 2.5 GPA or above. However, some of our partner institutions require a higher GPA, so please consult each program's page on our site for more information. 

What kind of classes can I take abroad?
Our programs abroad offer a wide variety of coursework, but it is important to understand that classes offered vary widely from one program to the next. Some programs are more focused on language and liberal arts, while others offer only business classes. With approval from the student's faculty advisor and dean, students may take courses abroad that can count towards their major and/or minor.

How does Endicott process grades from abroad?
Grading procedures are not the same in all countries. In many programs, your student will not have ongoing assessments but rather will be assessed at the end of the semester (or year) in the form of a cumulative exam or paper. Grades earned abroad are translated to equivalent grades at Endicott and the grades are calculated into your student’s GPA.

Can students with disabilities study abroad?
The Office of International Education strives to accommodate every student. Please contact the Study Abroad Advisor to discuss specific needs.

How does the Office of International Education help students prepare to go abroad?
We require all semester students to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation during the semester before departure. At the Pre-Departure Orientation, we discuss topics such as health and safety, academic preparedness, and cultural adjustment. This is held on the first Saturday of December for students studying abroad during the spring semester, and on the first Saturday of May for students studying abroad during the fall semester. Students are expected to attend, and parents and families are encouraged to attend virtually. 

What support services will I have while abroad?
On-site support services vary by program. Virtually all host universities provide an orientation for newly arrived students. These orientation programs may vary in length, ranging from a few hours to a few days, and some even up to a full week, and are meant to provide your students with an introduction to the institution, the culture, and the city in which they are located. The study abroad office at the host College is the first point of contact for students who need anything including College resources such as accommodations for a disability, counseling or health services, or simply where to
find an ATM. Your student will receive contact details for the appropriate contacts before departure or upon arrival at their international institution.